Douglas M. Bern is a Partner at Meyerson, Fox, Mancinelli & Conte, P.A., where he practices in the areas of business organizations and transactions, land use, real estate, environmental, municipal and finance and commercial litigation.
Doug’s practice encompasses counseling business organizations and developing real estate entitlement strategies for commercial, industrial and residential projects in numerous jurisdictions, such as Master Plan and Re-Development Plan issues, zone changes, variances, subdivisions and other land use matters.
Doug has over 25 years of experience in business and public sector law and real estate development and construction and real estate transactions, including due diligence, acquisitions, dispositions and financing. His clients include both regional and national development companies.
In addition, due to Doug’s distinct experience as a policy maker, his clients benefit from his unique perspective on the workings of government. Doug served as a City Councilman, Council President, County Freeholder Chairman and sat on numerous business and hospital boards. He also served as assistant counsel to the New Jersey Senate. He currently represents a number of municipalities and agencies.
Prior to joining Meyerson, Fox, Mancinelli & Conte, P.A. as a partner, Doug was a founding partner of Kaufman, Bern & Deutsch in Fort Lee, New Jersey.
Doug is a member of the New York and New Jersey Bars. He is a recipient of various awards, including being named the New York Area’s Top Rated Lawyers by New York Magazine, Top Rated Lawyers in Land Use and Zoning by National Law Review/American Lawyer, and New Jersey’s Top Rated Lawyers.
Mr. Bern is rated AV in the Martindate-Hubbell Peer Review database for attorneys, representing the highest rating given for legal ability and general ethical standards.
*No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. AV Preeminent is a rating issued by Martindale-Hubbell. Information on the criteria to be selected as a AV rated attorney can be found here.
- George Washington University (B.A.)
- New York Law School (J.D.)
- State of New Jersey
- State of New York
- United States District Court of the District of New Jersey
- New Jersey Bar Association
- Bergen County Bar Association
- New Jersey Institute of Local Government Attorneys
- Martindale Hubbell, AV Rated
- (201) Magazine Top Lawyer, 2012
- New York Magazine, New York Area’s Top Rated Lawyers, 2012
- Inside Jersey, New Jersey’s Top Legal Minds, 2012
- National Law Journal/American Lawyer, Top Rated Lawyers, Land Use and Zoning, 2013
- Attorney, Borough of Cliffside Park Zoning Board of Adjustment
- Panel Lawyer, South Bergen Joint Insurance Fund
- Counsel, Northwest Bergen County Utilities Authority
- Counsel, North Arlington-Lyndhurst Joint Sewer Authority
- Englewood, NJ, City Council, Member; President (1992-2004)
- County of Bergen, Board of Chosen Freeholders, Member; Chairman (1999 – 2002)
- Board member/officer, Jewish Family Services
- Sierra Club, Member
- Hispanic-American Alliance
- Bergen County Urban League, Board Member
- Bergen County Transit Committee, Former Chair
- Tenafly Nature Center, Board Member