John A. Conte, Jr., joined Meyerson, Fox & Conte, P.A. as a partner in 2007. He is Certified as a Civil Trial Attorney by the New Jersey State Supreme Court and in addition to his extensive experience in civil litigation, is experienced in the general practice areas of wills, trusts and estate law, land use and land use litigation, real estate and commercial transactions. He is widely known throughout the region for his commitment to his clients and expertise in these areas of the law, and has earned the prestigious Martindale Hubbell Rating of “AV” indicating that peer attorneys rank him at the highest level of professional excellence.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Conte was a partner at a well-known firm based in Glen Rock, New Jersey, where he maintained a successful practice focusing on transactional law, trust and estate law, and general litigation. From 1985 to 1999, he practiced as a partner at a succession of firms based in Saddle Brook, New Jersey. During that time, he also practiced with his father, John A. Conte, who was later appointed to the Superior Court of New Jersey, Bergen County in June of 1991.
Mr. Conte presently serves as the Attorney for the Zoning Board of Adjustment for the Boroughs of Norwood and Elmwood Park and Planning Board Attorney for the Borough of Elmwood Park. He served as Judge of the Oakland Municipal Court and the Central Judicial Processing Court; Borough Attorney and Tax Attorney for the Township of Mahwah and Prosecutor for the Boroughs of Oakland and Norwood. For many years, he worked as a Public Defender in the Township of Saddle Brook and the Boroughs of Elmwood Park and Oakland, New Jersey. He is admitted to the practice of law in the State of New Jersey as well as the United States District Court, for the District of New Jersey and the Circuit Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit. He was admitted to practice before the Supreme Court of the United States of America in April 2013.
Mr. Conte was previously certified by the National Hockey League Players Association as a player agent and has represented professional and amateur hockey players since 1988. He has also handled several litigation matters involving professional and amateur athletes, and served as General Counsel to the Eastern Junior Hockey League.
John is a graduate of Don Bosco Preparatory High School (1977), in Ramsey, New Jersey, where he was inducted into the school Hall of Fame in October, 2011.
*No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. AV Preeminent is a rating issued by Martindale-Hubbell. Information on the criteria to be selected as a AV rated attorney can be found here.
- Seton Hall University (B.A. 1981)
- Seton Hall University Law School (J.D. 1984)
- State of New Jersey
- United States District Court of the District of New Jersey
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States of America
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Bergen County Bar Association
- New Jersey Institute of Local Government Attorneys
- Martindale Hubbell, AV Rated
- (201) Magazine Top Lawyer, Civil Litigation, Zoning, Planning & Land Use, 2013
- Presenter, Navigating Open Public Meeting Law Compliance Issues, National Business Institute (NBI), December 2015.
- Presenter, Consumer Fraud Act Compliance for New Jersey Home Improvement Contractors, October 2012
- Frequent Speaker at New Jersey Real Estate Offices on the Correct Way to Prepare a Contract
- Attorney for the Planning Board, Borough of Elmwood Park
- Attorney for the Zoning Board of Adjustment, Borough of Norwood
- Judge, Oakland Municipal Court